How does a massage therapist get a health fund provider number?

Modified on Wed, 12 Jul 2023 at 06:11 PM

Based on our research, in order to be eligible to get most health fund provider numbers in Australia, the massage therapist must have a Diploma of Remedial Massage. Latrobe Health Services and CBHS are the only health insurance companies that allow therapists who have only a Cert IV in Massage Therapy to get a provider number for “therapeutic massage”.

After you’ve gotten your massage qualification, the next step is to belong to an association. You apply for your provider numbers through your association. Each association should have a lot of information to help you get this done.

According to MAA, these are the most common requirements by Australian health insurance funds:

  1. Membership in a recognised Association
  2. Current professional indemnity insurance
  3. Current Level 2 First Aid certificate
  4. Massage therapy qualifications at either the Certificate IV, Diploma or Bachelor degree level gained from an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
  5. A commitment to a certain number of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) points annually (depending on your association requirements)

Each health fund will have its own requirements for therapists to be listed as providers. Once you belong to an association, you will need to send in the required documents that they will need for your provider numbers - such as:

  • professional indemnity insurance  
  • current HLT first aid  
  • practice address details

Some of the health funds will use your association numbers, but for others you will need to apply to the health fund directly.

After you’ve applied, all that’s left is to wait for your provider numbers to come in. Each association has a specified reporting cycle (date each month that they send off for new applicant’s provider numbers) for each different health fund. Check with your association to see which dates they process which health fund applications.

According to AMT, in order to maintain your health fund numbers you must:

  • retain a copy of your provider numbers. Your association cannot do this on your behalf.
  • contact the health fund directly for your provider number
  • contact the health fund directly when your client has difficulty with a claim.
  • inform your association promptly of any changes to your details, such as new practice or mailing addresses  
  • submit current copies of your first aid, insurance certificate of currency, CEU documentation and renewal fees before the due dates.
  • abide by the various health fund Terms and Conditions.
  • maintain appropriate treatment records.

We advise you to speak with your association (or your industry body) or registered health fund about what can and can't be claimed and ensure you remain compliant with your regulatory requirements at all times.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article